Purch is one of the world’s largest tech review publishers with brands such as Tom’s Guide, LaptopMag, and LiveScience under its umbrella. With billions of users and three straight years of profitable, venture-backed double digit growth, Purch is on a mission to make complex buying decisions easier for both buyers and sellers. Purch is a fun, close-knit, flexible, results-oriented work environment looking for talented people who fit.
This position will be responsible for supporting and enhancing multiple REST APIs providing data and functionality to various Purch web properties and mobile applications. The Senior Software Engineer will work with product managers, project managers, mobile developers, and other backend developers to provide REST endpoints that provide the necessary data and functionality required for the efficient operation of all sites and mobile applications.
The APIs handle millions of requests per day across all major mobile platforms and top web properties such as TomsGuide.com, TomsHardware.com, TopTenReviews.com and others. The developer must be experienced with the design and implementation of highly scalable fault-tolerant REST API infrastructures.
We are looking for a highly motivated individual who can work well as part of an experienced, tight-knit team. The ability to collaborate with other developers and work within an Agile/SCRUM process is critical.
Purch employs a diverse set of technologies to meet functional and performance requirements. Breadth of experience and the ability to learn new technologies quickly and thoroughly is critical for this role.
- Work with product managers, project managers, mobile developers, and other backend developers to provide the necessary functionality and performance to handle hundreds of requests per second around the clock.
- Ensure that all APIs function at an extremely high level – including efficient payloads, fast response times, and near zero down time.
- Ensure test coverage for all critical code paths.
- Document features, designs, and implementation decisions.
- Proactively seek clarification of requirements and recommend alternatives to speed delivery and/or enhance design.
- Be comfortable working on the backend, frontend or in between.
- Practical knowledge and use of design patterns.
- 5+ years developing C# ASP.NET applications (.Net Core preferred).
- 5+ years SQL experience (Postgres, MySQL)
- 2+ years ElasticSearch or Solr
- 2+ years Node.js (TypeScript preferred)
- Git + BitBucket (or GitHub) – especially branching, forking, tagging, and pull requests.
- Unit Testing.
- Deep knowledge of HTTP requests and responses.
- Knowledge of how HTTP requests and responses are routed over the internet (including routing, caching, port usage, etc.).
- Full Stack development experience
- 5+ years developing applications in PHP and Symfony
- 2+ years experience in CSS, SCSS, etc.
- Experience with MongoDB
- Experience collecting, aggregating, and analyzing product data.
- Experience with graph databases.
- Parallel and Async programming.
- SQL Server 2012 (or higher) – query plan optimization, indexing, locking strategies, etc.
- Postgres – JSON column handling, indexing, query plan optimization
- Performance monitoring & debugging using New Relic.
- .NET Core (NetStandard 2.0)
- Docker (with Kubernetes)