Purch is a rapidly growing, constantly evolving digital content and services company that connects content and commerce. More than 100 million monthly visitors engage with our many brands—Tom’s Guide, Space.com, LiveScience, TopTenReviews, and more.
The Purch B2C division seeks a Director of Audience Development to leverage a range of techniques and best practices to build audiences for our brands and create vibrant social media reach to fuel our growth. You will own the audience development vision and strategy, evangelizing for the big picture while working step by step to bring it to fruition iteratively.
You will bring innovative ideas to the table and connect diverse stakeholders in a fast-paced, collaborative environment. You leverage a range of user analytics data sources to develop and drive an aggressive audience development strategy while managing the day-to-day analysis of our digital products and a small social engagement team to build and attract meaningful audiences to Purch digital properties across multiple platforms.
The candidate should be experienced in providing timely data-supported proactive recommendations to a non-technical editorial team and a range of business and product stakeholders on how our sites can aggressively grow traffic to our websites, grow our social audiences, and deepen engagement with our sites.
We operate like a start-up within a successful and profitable digital media company, so the best candidates will be a self-starter director and team player accustomed to moving quickly while also collaborating deeply as the hands-on owner of our day-to-day audience development operations. We’d expect you to be a proven and positive team leader with excellent references from your managers and direct reports alike. We expect candidates will be ruthlessly current on industry audience development tactics and shifting best-practices.
- Data: Leveraging data from our audience analytics platforms to define, analyze and communicate key cross platform (mobile, desktop, social) user metrics and user behavioral trends, providing regular reporting and site performance data support along with timely pro-active recommendations to key business, product and editorial stakeholders.
- Ensure the accuracy of data reporting while managing timely reporting pulls of varying size and complexity; prepare regular (spot, daily, weekly, monthly, quarterly) written analysis and presenting findings and pro-active recommendations to internal non-technical editorial stakeholders with clarity and appropriate depth.
- Serve as the primary liaison between Purch and internal and external user analytics data sources and third-party platform vendors.
- SEO: Work collaboratively with our Director of SEO to share tactics, and develop & manage rigorous processes that ensure content production and promotion leverages SEO best practices to drive audience growth.
- Management: You will be leading a small team of social engagement and audience development specialists and collaborating deeply with the business and editorial leaders of our brands.
- Social: Understand how to leverage social media best practices and platforms to build significant social referral audiences to drive traffic and launch new traffic-referral products and UX (email newsletters, etc) as required; have deep practical knowledge specific to growing audiences on Facebook, Instagram, Flipboard, Twitter, SnapChat, reddit and other relevant social platforms; experience with social monitoring analytics platforms and sentiment analysis.
- Product: Collaborate with our product, design, and technology teams to positively influence a range of appropriate decisions including page optimization, user experience flows, and recirculation modules that impact audience development.
- SEM: Work with internal stakeholders and vendors/agencies to manage Purch’s paid social initiatives, SEM and other marketing initiatives to drive highly qualified visitors to our brands.
- Distribution: Collaborate with business and editorial teams to prioritize, manage and optimize traffic-building partnerships with other digital media organizations.
- Marketing: Appropriate expertise in developing and collaborating on a range of online marketing strategies and best practices.
- Competitive analysis: Be the point person to help us understand the audience development techniques and choices made by our competitive set and how we can exploit weaknesses and differentiate our efforts.
The position requirements include:
- The ideal candidate has a minimum of 5 years of expertise in audience development and user analytics preferably at multiple platform content-focused branded websites and a demonstrated track record of excellence specific to growing multiple platform traffic (mobile, desktop, social) and deepening engagement at content-focused websites.
- Expertise in web analytics and social monitoring platforms and a demonstrated successful track record in leveraging a wide range of data to inform audience development strategies and tactics.
- Expertise in web analytics implementation and applications throughout websites; track record of completing projects including data pulls of varying size and complexity for editorial, business and product teams on aggressive timelines; experience in performing quality checks to ensure accurate tracking and reporting.
- Demonstrated ability to leverage data to troubleshoot, identify patterns, and generate creative new approaches to audience development strategies, tactics and creating data reports for a non-technical audience.
- Experience in a fast-paced digital media publishing environment; using a range of CMS; knowledge of information architecture best practices.
- Mastery of web analytics platforms including Google Analytics, Parsely,, comScore, and others; advanced Microsoft Office skills with expert Excel knowledge (e.g. complex calculations, pivot tables). Experience with other analytics platforms a plus.